Monday Mar 13, 2023
85. Dr Elizabeth Boulton - Tackling the Climate Change Hyperthreat: Plan E, Entangled Security and harnessing a Hyper-response
Join The Voices Of War exclusive community by subscribing today. Connect the private feed with your favourite pod-catcher at https://thevoicesofwar.supercast.com/
My guest today is Dr Elizabeth Boulton, who is an eco-military theorist with Destination Safe Earth, and a research affiliate with the ‘Climate Change & (In)Security Project’ which is a collaboration between the University of Oxford, the Centre for Historical Analysis and Conflict Research (CHACR) and the British Army.
She joins me today to discuss her thinking behind the concepts of ‘Hyperthreat’, ‘Hyper-response’, and Plan E as a response to tackling climate change. Some of the topics we discussed are:
• Elizabeth’s background and journey towards a PhD
• Timothy Morton and the Hyperobject
• Conceptualising climate change as a ‘Hyperthreat’
• Uncovering the disguised cause and effect of the ‘Hyperthreat’
• ‘Entangled Security’ and why understanding it is crucial for tackling the climate crisis
• The problem of establishing credibility about climate change
• Corporate capture, competing priorities and corrupted incentives in the ‘Hyperthreat’
• ‘Plan E’ and the essential steps to fight climate change
• Reframing the idea of security for a sustainable future
• Why a localised response is key to addressing the climate change ‘Hyperthreat’
• Unlocking global creativity to achieve a ‘Hyper-response’
• Testing the viability of ‘Plan E’ through wargaming
• Increasing geopolitical tensions as a threat to climate change solutions
To find out more about Elizabeth and her work, you can start here.
#TheVoicesOfWar #PlanE, #hyperthreat, #EntangledSecurity, #ClimateChange, #Hyperobject, #Strategy, #ClimateEmergency, #Mobilization, #Transdisciplinary, #PlanetarySecurity, #SlowViolence, #SixthExtinctionEvent
To leave or reply to comments, please download free Podbean or
To leave or reply to comments,
please download free Podbean App.